The Martinus Church in Venlo was consecrated in 1430 on November 13. The church was altered and added to on a number of occasions; its present shape dates from the year 1610. Over the centuries the church has had three towers. An earthquake caused the first tower to collapse and in November 1944 the second tower was destroyed during heavy fighting. It took two years to build the present tower and is was finished in 1953. Over the main entrance, a huge ashlar relief has been affixed to the outside wall of the church, representing Saint Martin on horseback.
The carillon was cast in the years 1952, 1959 and 1999 by the Royal Bell Foundry "Petit and Fritsen" from Aarle-Rixtel. Four ringing bells, tuned C, E flat, F and G respectively, form part of the instrument. The C bell is also the heaviest bell of the Venlo carillon, weighing 2381 kilogrammes. The instrument consists of 53 bells, covering almost four and a half octaves. Because of its size, the instrument is one of the largest carillons in Europe.
Weekday recitals on Saturday: 2.30-3.30pm
behind the Venlo keyboard
The Martinus Church in 1879
The Martinus Church in 1765
The largest bell weighs about 2500kg